About Me

This is me, The Rat...partner since 2001 to Concrete_Man, mum to Rat_Girl (born 13.12.05) and Rat_Boy (born 14.05.09). Co-inhabiting our nest are 2 rather large fury 4 legged rats, Boxer_Dog and Black_Dog. We run a business from the nest with Concrete_Man doing the manly physical work while I stay at home and do the 'other' stuff. This means we are often busy, often stressed and often very tired...but then again who isn't! Anyway that's enough for now. As time goes by you will learn a bit more about the family that is "MummaRat's Nest"

January 23, 2010

Meet....Olga!!





Our second cyclone to be named off our coast in as many days.  However unlike Cyclone Neville, Olga is predicted to cross right near Cairns, possibly just north.

I've been through a tonne of cyclones in my life and never ever found them scary, as a kid I found most of them quite fun.  But now as an adult, grown up, with my own house and family where I have now become the protector and not the protected I find it a lot scarier. 

5 years ago during cyclone Larry all I could think about was protecting my daughter and what I needed to do to make sure she was safe, she was only I think 10weeks old.  The hardest part was she was formula fed so I had to make sure I had plenty of boiled or bottle water and heaps of formula incase the shops ran out.  This time around the baby is breastfed so that really does help, but he eats like a maniac. Thankfully as long as I have pasta and rice and some frozen veg and I have some baby mix thru sauces in the cupboard I should have enough to keep him happy.  Plus I have all his yoghurts frozen and tins of custard.  Rat_girl would be in paradise getting to eat tinned spaghetti and baked beans for days!  But something that has just occured to me, I didn't buy nappies.  I've been using cloth so much I am out of the habit of buying nappies when I shop.  I have about half a box so I don't think it's an issue and I have so many cloth it won't matter.  If worse comes to worse I'll be washing them in a bucket outside with the rain water LOL ...but it won't come to that.

I've been here my whole life so I'm used to this season and every year I just buy a few extra tins of food, long life milk, batteries etc in my weekly shopping.  We have heaps of candles (I'm a candle addict) and torches and radios and we alreay made sure the cars were fueled so we're set.  Nothing really to panic about.

We do actually have plans to buy a generator, we've already got on picked up, just waiting for a couple payments to come it so we can buy it.  It will be great, it's big enough to power the fridge and freezer and a tv and probably 1 aircon in the room so we can sleep at night.  And it will also be enough to throw a lead out neighbour (who I just adore) so he can run his fridge and a couple things.

Anyway to needless to say weekend plans, including Australia Day plans could be put on hold.  If we get lots of rain, coupled with the high tide planned for Aust Day...it might just be chaos and too flooded for fishing.  But we'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment